St. Paul's is known to be the first Arab-Anglican church in the region.
The church was built in 1873 with the support of the Church Missionary Society of England (CMS) during the episcopacy of the Rt. Revd Samuel Gobat. The church was consecrated for use in public worship on November 29, 1874.
St. Paul's was in regular use by Arabic speaking Anglicans until 1948, when members of the congregation found they could not easily get to the church as it was on the west side of the "green line" dividing Jordanian East and Israeli West parts of Jerusalem.
The congregation began to worship at Christ Church, Jaffa Gate for a few years. In 1953 the congregation of St. Paul's became, by formal agreement, part of the ministry of the Cathedral of St. George in East Jerusalem. Prior to renovation and reconsecration in March of 2011, St. Paul's Church had not been in use for regularly scheduled worship since 1948.
With the re-opening of the Church, Bishop Dawani continues to encourage the reconciliation and mutual respect of all people. Canon Hosam Naoum, Pastor to the Arabic Congregation at the Cathedral, holds regular worship services in Arabic at 11am on Wednesdays and has provided tours for interested Jewish neighbors.
In ecumenical fellowship, the church will also be used by other Christian worshipping groups.
For information, please call The Very Revd Hosam Naoum at the Diocesan Offices in Jerusalem, 02 627 1670.